As we are shifting the focus from only work to a balance between life and work, we thought it would be interesting to see how balance is seen around the world. And we went looking for quotes about balance from famous writers, to industry thought leaders, to athletes, to yoga masters.
Balance is important not only when walking on a tightrope. It is important in everything we do (remember when you started skiing? Or when you started playing golf?): balancing hard skills and soft skills as a leader, work and personal life, alone time and social life, etc.
There are hundreds of quotes on balance. Enough to prove the importance of the concept.
Because there are so many quotes about balance we had to make a selection. The criteria of selection were: they are either thought-provoking or laugh provoking (aka funny).
We hope you’ll not only enjoy reading them, but you will find also motivation to find more balance in more aspects of your lives.
1. It’s all about quality of life and finding a happy balance between work and friends and family.
– Philip Green
2. Happiness is not a matter of intensity but of balance, order, rhythm and harmony.
– Thomas Merton
3. Just as your car runs more smoothly and requires less energy to go faster and farther when the wheels are in perfect alignment, you perform better when your thoughts, feelings, emotions, goals, and values are in balance.
– Brian Tracy
4. Man maintains his balance, poise, and sense of security only as he is moving forward.
– Maxwell Maltz
5. Nothing in excess.
– Temple of Apollo in Delphi
6. Your hand opens and closes and opens and closes. If it were always a fist or always stretched open, you would be paralyzed. Your deepest presence is in every small contracting and expanding, the two as beautifully balanced and coordinated as bird wings.
7. The delicate balance of mentoring someone is not creating them in your own image, but giving them the opportunity to create themselves.
– Steven Spielberg
8. Balance, peace, and joy are the fruit of a successful life. It starts with recognizing your talents and finding ways to serve others by using them.
– Thomas Kinkade
9. I have often wondered how it is that every man loves himself more than all the rest of men, but yet sets less value on his own opinion of himself than on the opinion of others.
― Marcus Aurelius
10. There’s no secret to balance. You just have to feel the waves
– Frank Herbert
11. Tact in audacity is knowing how far you can go without going too far.
– Jean Cocteau
12. All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow.
– Leo Tolstoi
13. Use, do not abuse… neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.
14. The excessive increase of anything causes a reaction in the opposite direction.
15. Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.
– Albert Einstein
16. Everything being a constant carnival, there is no carnival left.
– Victor Hugo
17. There’s no such thing as work-life balance. There are work-life choices, and you make them, and they have consequences.
– Jack Welch
18. One of the core organizing principles of my life is that success comes through a delicate balance between making things happen and letting things happen.
– Robin S. Sharma
19. I like work/life separation, not work/life balance. What I mean by that is, if I’m on, I want to be on and maximally productive. If I’m off, I don’t want to think about work. When people strive for work/life balance, they end up blending them. That’s how you end up checking email all day Saturday.
– Tim Ferriss
20. Never confuse movement with action.
– Ernest Hemingway